Sebastian Freidank - 18. July 23
Theobromine effect – occurrence, use, increase in performance
Theobromine, a naturally occurring alkaloid, is found in some food sources such as cocoa and Guayusa-Tea included and known for its diverse effects on the human body. The effects of theobromine include stimulating properties, performance enhancement and a calming effect on the central nervous system. However, excessive consumption can also cause side effects.
In this article, we examine the effects of theobromine in more detail. We also look at the interactions with other active ingredients and the possible increase in performance. We will also describe which side effects occur when the dosage is too high and how you can avoid them through correct use in the areas of sport, work and health.
Table of contents
- What is Theobromine?
- Occurrence of theobromine
- Effect of theobromine
- Combined effect with theophylline, caffeine and L-theanine
- Side effects of theobromine
- Use and dosage of theobromine
- Improving performance with theobromine
- Buy theobromine
- Theobromine FAQ
1. What is Theobromine?
The effect of theobromine on the human body is varied and can, among other things, contribute to increasing performance; more about the effect and interaction with other active ingredients later in the article.
Although theobromine is often overshadowed by the more widespread Caffeine Benefits it has unique properties that make it an interesting substance. Although it has a less stimulating effect than caffeine, the effect usually lasts longer. We will discuss in more detail later in the article what the current study situation looks like on the positive effects and side effects of theobromine.
2. Occurrence of theobromine
Below we will specifically address some sources of theobromine and also provide the approximate amounts of the active ingredient present.
- Cocoa: Originally from Central and South America, cocoa contains approx. 1,2% until 3% Theobromine related to that Dry weight. By the way, not all cocoa is the same! There are many different types and over 400 defined flavor profiles. When buying cocoa powder, you should also make sure that no extra carbonate has been added as an ingredient.
- Green tea: Originating from Asia, green tea contains loud Research approximately 0,15% until 0,2% Theobromine. What many people don't know is that green tea, Black tea, Matcha, Oolong, etc. all come from the same plant. Nevertheless, there are differences. In our post Matcha VS. Green tea we made a comparison.
- Mate tea: According to the same, mate tea, traditionally from South America, contains Investigation around 0,3% Theobromine. A detailed article on Effects of mate tea can be found in the linked post.
- Guayusa Tea: Guayusa, also from South America approximately 0,04% Theobromine. Exciting at Guayusa are especially the interaction of everyone Active ingredients and the resulting ones Effect.
- Guarana: Guarana, a plant from the Amazon region, contains 0,004% Theobromine. Guarana is often cited as the plant with the highest caffeine content, but in fact this is not entirely true. Of course, the caffeine content in natural products can vary, but it does Guayusa has up to 7.6% highest caffeine content in the world.
- Coffee: Coffee, mostly known for its caffeine content, contains about 0,002% Theobromine. This makes coffee the worst in the range of theobromine-containing plants. The well-known ones Side effects of coffee or caffeine are particularly noticeable in coffee, as coffee is unlike mate, guarana and Guayusa Tea hardly has any other synergistic ingredients.
3. Effects of theobromine
This section gives you an overview of the diverse effects of theobromine, from regulating blood pressure to improving oxygen uptake to stimulating brain activity.
In the next section we will go into more detail about the interaction of theobromine with other active ingredients such as Theophylline, caffeine and L-Theanine and look even more closely at the question of how it contributes to improving performance and how Nootropics can be used.
3.1. Theobromine effect on blood pressure
Theobromine has a clear effect on our blood pressure. The alkaloid is a so-called Vasodilator, that is, it dilates the blood vessels, allowing blood to flow more easily. This lowers blood pressure.
Various studies have shown that regular consumption of foods containing cocoa, especially dark chocolate, can have a positive impact on blood pressure.
Some sources state that cocoa can increase blood pressure due to the caffeine content. This is not impossible, but due to the low salary of around 0.2% rather unlikely. In large quantities or highly concentrated, cocoa has a very invigorating effect, which is also traditionally found in... Cacao ceremonies is being used.
3.2. Oxygen absorption
The active ingredient also plays a role in the absorption of oxygen in the body. Due to its vasodilating properties, it improves blood circulation and thus the oxygen supply to the various parts of the body.
This can be particularly useful during physical activity such as sports and strenuous work because of the effects caused by theobromine improved oxygen absorption can also lead to improved performance.
One study in the Journal of Physiology showed that the body's oxygen capacity is increased after ingestion, which in turn can improve endurance performance. Another study in the Journal of Applied Physiology found that theobromine improves lung function, potentially leading to increased oxygen uptake.
3.3. Brain activity
Theobromine is a well-known stimulant of the central nervous system and therefore has a direct influence on brain activity. It seems similar caffeine, but is weaker and has a longer lasting effect. The alkaloid can help increase alertness and improve overall well-being.
Studies have shown that consumption can increase feelings of satisfaction and improve mood. This appears to be due to increased production of the neurotransmitter dopamine in the brain.
Theobromine's improved brain activity can also be used in demanding cognitive tasks such as focused work to be useful. The ability to process and store information can also be improved by taking theobromine improved become.
3.4. Cardiovascular system
Theobromine has a remarkable effect on the cardiovascular system. As a vasodilator, theobromine expands the blood vessels, which improves blood flow and can therefore lower blood pressure. This has potential benefits for people with high blood pressure and may support overall heart health by reducing the strain on the heart.
Several Studies have shown that potassium, an ingredient in cocoa, reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease. It also promotes the release of nitric oxide, a chemical that dilates blood vessels and improves blood flow. This also officially leads to improved heart health.
Additionally, due to its diuretic effects, theobromine could help remove excess fluids from the body, which could be beneficial for people with certain cardiovascular diseases.
3.5. Cholesterol levels
The influence on cholesterol levels in the body is also considered Studies confirms and suggests that theobromine helps increase HDL cholesterol levels (the "good" cholesterol) while at the same time lowering LDL cholesterol levels (the "bad" cholesterol).
The balance between HDL and LDL is important for maintaining cardiovascular health, as too high LDL cholesterol levels can increase the risk of heart disease. A regular, low consumption of theobromine, e.g. by one Guayusa tea can therefore already lead to a better body feeling.
4. Combined action with theophylline, caffeine and L-theanine
The effects of theobromine may change when consumed in combination with other substances such as theophylline, caffeine and L-theanine.
Theophylline is a substance used in medicine to treat respiratory diseases such as asthma. It works similarly to theobromine and can accordingly potentiate the effects of theobromine on the respiratory tract.
caffeine, another substance often consumed together with theobromine, is known for its stimulating effects on the central nervous system. The combination of caffeine and theobromine has been shown to produce one improved cognitive performance and can lead to an improved mood.
L-Theanine, an amino acid found only in green tea and Guayusa has been found to be able to moderate the effects of theobromine by contributing to relaxation and helping to reduce the side effects of theobromine and caffeine, such as nervousness and tremors. A study has shown that the combination of theobromine and L-theanine can help Promote relaxation can contribute without affecting alertness.
The combined effects of these substances may vary depending on the exact dosage and individual differences between users. Guayusa Tea has been shown to be extremely efficient and to produce a particularly pleasant and long-lasting waking experience with a special focus. In addition to this awakening and performance-enhancing effect, Guayusa also as a so-called dream herb to reinforce lucid dreams be used.
5. Side effects of theobromine
Although theobromine is generally considered safe in moderate amounts, side effects may occur if consumed in excess or in those with increased sensitivity.
The most common side effects of theobromine include:
- Sleep disorders,
- nausea and
These symptoms primarily occur when theobromine is consumed in conjunction with other stimulants such as caffeine.
Although these side effects are usually mild and subside once the body breaks down the theobromine, some people may experience more serious symptoms such as:
- heart racing,
- Dizziness and even
Animals such as dogs and cats, which can break down theobromine ineffectively, are particularly at risk. Even small amounts of cocoa or chocolate can cause theobromine poisoning, which can be fatal. However, as with caffeine side effects, these toxic symptoms only occur at levels above 1,000 mg. This is an amount that no one would consume under normal conditions. Anyone who has chocolate, cocoa, etc. every day Guayusa Therefore, you do not have to worry about side effects when consumed.
6. Use and dosage of theobromine
To improve physical and cognitive performance, you can use theobromine in various ways. It is important to find the right dosage. Below we will therefore take a closer look at the two most common areas of application.
Theobromine can help with sporting activities thanks to its stimulating and bronchodilator effects. It can improve endurance, increase oxygen intake and reduce fatigue. For athletes, a dosage of approx 200-300 mg Theobromine per day may be suitable. This amount can be taken in two to three doses throughout the day to ensure an even effect.
6.2. Concentrated and focused work in the office
For people who require increased mental performance and concentration, such as office workers or students, a lower dose may be sufficient. A lot of about 100-200 mg Theobromine per day can help increase alertness, improve mood, and increase cognitive performance. It is also advisable to consume this amount in smaller doses throughout the day to ensure consistent effectiveness.
You should find the optimal dosage for you personally. With natural products, it is also difficult to determine the exact amounts because other active ingredients trigger a synergy, as described above, and the amounts of the active ingredients are not always identical.
7. Improving performance with theobromine
Theobromine can be an effective supplement to increase physical and mental performance. Here are some tips on how different groups of people can use theobromine to improve performance:
7.1. Improved performance for athletes
Whether you are a professional athlete or a fitness enthusiast, theobromine can boost your performance.
- Pre-workout supplement: Take about 200-300 mg of theobromine 30 minutes to an hour before training. This helps improve your endurance and increase oxygen intake.
- Energy boost: Drink Guayusa Tea before or during exercise. The combination of theobromine, caffeine, theophylline and L-theanine it contains can help you achieve a huge increase in performance in terms of focus, endurance and motivation.
- Regeneration: Theobromine also has anti-inflammatory properties that may aid recovery after exercise. A cup Guayusa Tea after training can therefore support the regeneration process.
7.2. For yoga enthusiasts
For those who practice yoga, theobromine can help improve concentration and ease breathing.
- Focus and concentration: Drink a cup Guayusa Tea or take 100-200 mg of theobromine about 30 minutes before your yoga session. This can help clear your mind and improve concentration.
- Breath control: Due to its bronchial dilating effect, theobromine can help open the airways and make breathing easier. This can be particularly helpful with pranayama or other breathing exercises.
- Relaxation: Combine theobromine with L-theanine to increase the relaxing effects.
7.3. For health-conscious people
The general health properties for your well-being should not be ignored either.
- Daily energy boost: Replace your morning coffee with a cup Guayusa Tea. The gentle and significantly longer-lasting energy boost without the "shakes" and nervousness that coffee sometimes causes gives you a significant increase in performance throughout the day without any "burn-out effect".
- Stress relief: Theobromine can help reduce stress and improve mood. Stress is one of the factors that can most likely prevent an increase in performance.
- Healthy heart: It can contribute to heart health through its positive effects on the cardiovascular system. Regular consumption in moderate amounts can help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
8. Buy theobromine
Theobromine in its pure form cannot simply be purchased in Germany. There is at Amazon some providers, who offer different powders. However, we don't know whether these are recommended. From our experience, we only recommend natural products like the ones above Guayusa, cocoa and Matewho also have it Amazon to buy gives.
For our Guayusa Of course, we recommend our own online teaShop, as long as you order more than just one pack, as you save a whole 10% with our newsletter and the packs are generally €1 cheaper than on Amazon.
Theobromine is an incredible substance with many health benefits and enables healthy performance enhancement. It can help improve endurance, increase concentration, ease breathing, and even increase overall well-being. However, the effects of theobromine can vary greatly depending on how it is consumed and what other substances it is combined with.
Guayusa Tea offers optimal distribution of active ingredients for a pleasant and sustainable increase in performance. In addition to containing theobromine Guayusa also caffeine, theophylline and L-theanine, which work together synergistically to improve cognitive abilities and well-being, without the typical ones Side effects like nervousness and tremors.
In our On-line-Shop can you Guayusa Buy tea with a 10% discount by subscribing to our newsletter. If you're looking for inspiration like you Guayusa If you can make tea, we recommend ours Top 10 Guayusa Preparations. From classic infusions to creative recipes, this collection has something for every taste.
In addition, you can find out about other stimulants such as kola nut, guarana, coffee cherry and many more by using our "Wake-up comparison" reads as a free e-book.
Overall, theobromine is an excellent natural supplement for anyone who wants to feel an increase in physical and mental performance and improve their well-being in a sustainable way.
1. Is theobromine dangerous for humans?
Theobromine is not dangerous to humans in moderate amounts. However, excessive consumption can lead to side effects such as insomnia, stomach problems or increased blood pressure. However, it takes about 1,000mg to feel these side effects. These amounts are not possible to consume with a normal diet.
2. Which foods contain theobromine?
Theobromine is mainly found in cocoa products. It is also in significant quantities Guayusa-Tea present, as well as in smaller quantities in other teas and coffee.
3. Can theobromine improve performance?
Theobromine can improve athletic performance by increasing heart rate and dilating blood vessels, allowing more oxygen and nutrients to reach the muscles. It also has a mild stimulant effect that can improve endurance.
4. How can theobromine help relaxation?
Theobromine can contribute to relaxation by having a calming effect on the central nervous system. Additionally, when combined with L-theanine, it can help reduce nervousness and tremors.
5. How is theobromine dosed?
The optimal dosage of theobromine varies depending on the person and purpose. For concentrated and focused work, a dosage of 100 to 200 mg per day is recommended, while athletes may need up to 300 mg per day.
25. July 23
We address the most important questions about the known side effects of different types of tea such as mate, green, black and Guayusa-tea.
13. February 23
Caffeine during pregnancy, breastfeeding and breast milk? What are the facts and what should you pay attention to?
12. February 23
What are the caffeine side effects for health & how can you avoid them? We give you a detailed list & description.
12. February 23
The caffeine effect is known, but when is an overdose with side effects & how does a withdrawal work? Caffeine during pregnancy?
18. July 23
Everything about L-theanin effect & dosage-better sleep, less stress/depression & more memory in combination with caffeine!
18. July 23
How many antioxidants does Yerba Mate tea have in comparison to Guayusa and green tea. Experience everything important about the health benefits.
15. April 23
Do you have any problems through coffee consumption, but don't want to do without taste? Find out everything about our tea with coffee taste?
25. January 23
How does mate tea work? Everything about the mate tea effect on the body, skin, blood pressure, for losing weight and more! And compare mate tea vs Matcha tea.
17. January 23
The Guayusa Tea effect differs to the effect of other caffeine -containing plants. Find out everything about Guayusa Effect.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.